To honor the year of 221 BC, Kombucha Brewers International has designated February 21st (aka 2.21) as WORLD KOMBUCHA DAY!
Legend of Kombucha & Origin of World Kombucha Day
“The most famous legend of Kombucha’s origin dates it to the Qin dynasty (221-206 BCE) during which time … it was referred to as the “Tea of Immortality.” The emperor Qin Shi Huang (秦始皇) is said to have sought to lengthen his life by any means available and this Tea of Immortality was delivered by alchemists at his request.” The Big Book of Kombucha
While we many never know where exactly Kombucha originated, this legend hints at the reverence that Kombucha brewers have had for this beautiful culture. Watch the video below to learn more about its historic origins.
How to Celebrate World Kombucha Day (WKD)
The ethos behind World Kombucha Day is not only to celebrate our favorite ferment, it is also to raise awareness around symbiosis and interconnectedness; diversity and inclusion; our bonds as humans and stewards of the planet. To that end, collaborate and reach out to as many local brands as possible. Use this as an opportunity to celebrate the CULTURE of Kombucha as much as the drink.
Kombucha Culture Ethics
- Healthy Boundaries lead to Healthy Culture
- Strength in Diversity
- Symbiosis provides win-win-win opportunities for people, planet & prosperity
Kombucha Brewing Industry Values
- Symbiosis & Collaboration
- Sustainability & Stewardship
- Radical Transparency
- Triple Bottom Line - People, Planet & Prosperity
- Diversity is our Nature!
- Attend a WKD event and bring your friends
- Share our “What is Kombucha” YouTube video on social media (link to the video that is embedded on the page)
- Post photos of you with your favorite Kombucha brand/homebrew & use the social media tags
- Host a Kombucha tasting with friends
- Can also be Hard Kombucha!
- Wear your favorite Kombucha swag – post photos on social media
- Share your story of how Kombucha has impacted your life on social media & tag us
Social Media TagsUse these tags to celebrate the day!